James J. Hart Memorial Scholarship
This award is named after faculty member James J. Hart, and for many years, has honored the outstanding performance among junior students. Donations to the James J. Hart Scholarship fund were sufficient in 2010 to award the first James J. Hart Memorial Scholarship. The recipient of this award is an outstanding Junior Psychology Major who not only has high academic achievement, but also, through their activities and aspirations, demonstrates a commitment to improving the human condition.
You can contribute to this scholarship fund by making a donation online.
2018 Award Recipient
- Works with Dr. Suzanne Baker conducting research on personality and learning in deer mice. She received a Department of Psychology Research Grant for this work.
- Has been a teaching assistant for Dr. JoAnne Brewster in Abnormal Psychology, which entailed creating supplemental worksheets, constructing mini-lectures, holding review sessions, and providing one-on-one tutoring.
- Volunteered at Western State Hospital in Staunton, VA.
- Received the Department of Psychology Outstanding Achievement Award in Statistics and Research Methods.
- Plans to pursue a PhD in quantitative psychology.
2017 Award Recipient
- Works with Dr. Jessica Irons examining cue-induced nicotine withdrawal in humans, the effects of alcohol priming on substance preferences (coordinates this study), and the effects of rhetoric exposure on health choices.
- Has served as a teaching assistant for Psychological Statistics and Integrated Statistics and Methods under the supervision of Dr. Tracy Zinn.
- Serves as a Psychology Peer Advisor.
- Is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, is a member of Active Minds, has volunteered with Open House, worked as an AVID tutor, and has attended and led Alternative Spring Breaks trips.
- Has been on the President's list since Spring 2015.