James Madison University

Events & Deadlines

Present Your Research – Publication / Presentation Opportunities.  After consulting with your research faculty advisor, you can determine whether it is appropriate to present your research project at a conference or publish it in a journal.  The process to get your work presented at a professional meeting or published in a journal is competitive.  When investigating this opportunity, please note any submission deadlines.

  • JMU Psychology Department Student Symposium – Monday April 24, 2017.
    • Poster Sessions: 10:00-11:30am & 1:00-2:15pm, MU Ballroom
    • Oral Presentations: 11:45-12:45pm, MU 203
    • Registration: Your project advisor can help you determine if you are ready to present your work, and will help you prepare your poster/talk. Groups of students may work together. This will be a great opportunity to share what you have been doing with faculty, fellow students, and campus visitors. Students who have been involved in research projects, field placement projects, practica, Honors Thesis, or other projects may present a poster or oral presentation (by invitation). Students who received travel grants and/or printed posters for professional conferences this year at the expense of the Department of Psychology are expected to participate. Your participation at the Department of Psychology Symposium is an item that you can put on your resume or CV. For questions about the Department of Psychology Student Symposium, please contact Dr. Krisztina Jakobsen (jakobskv@jmu.edu).
      • By April 3:  Register to present by completing the on-line form. Registration deadline has passed. Please email ugpsyc@jmu.edu with questions.
      • By April 10:  If you need a poster printed for this event, please submit an electronic copy of your finalized poster to Colleen Johnson (ugpsyc@jmu.edu; 568-6114; Miller 1120).
  • James Madison Research Journal - Journal seeking undergraduate research manuscripts.
  • Modern Psychological Studies – Journal seeking undergraduate research manuscripts.
  • Note:  If you present/publish your research, please let us know by emailing ugpsyc@jmu.edu.

Certificate Programs. The Counseling and Development Center offers a variety of workshops throughout the semester. Upcoming workshops include Gender Differences in Communication, Stress Management, Self-Esteem, Assertiveness, Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships, Dealing with Difficult People, Anger Management, and Connecting with New People 101. Visit the Certificate Program website for dates, times, and locations of these programs. All workshops are free, and there is no registration. Contact Kara Karr (karrkm@jmu.edu) with questions. More information.

Psychology Peer Advisors are here for you! Psychology Peer Advising is a student-staffed office that serves the students and faculty of the Psychology Department. Their office in 1106 Miller Hall is open Monday – Thursday from 9:00 am – 4:00 pmduring the academic year. They can also be contacted at peeradvise@gmail.com. For quick advising tips, “Follow” them on Twitter (@JMUPsycAdvisors) and “Like” them on Facebook (JMU Psychology Peer Advising)!  More information.

JMU Counseling Center – Apply Now for Fall2017. Junior and Senior Psychology Majors - Are you interested in getting a hands-on experience related to your Psychology major in the upcoming semester?  Would you like to learn about the internal workings of a University Counseling Center and help us with our outreach mission?  If so, please consider applying to the PSYC 402 that the JMU Counseling Center (CC) is offering!  It is worth 3 credits and requires 120 hours of work.  The class meets from 10am-12pm on Thursdays and counts as a sociocultural awareness class.  The participants will prepare and present workshops on mental health or interpersonal skill issues.  They will also be involved in many CC outreach events (tabling, chalking, creating buttons or other materials, handing out information, attending events).  A fun activity you can opt to participate in is walking our Assisted Therapy dog, Francis, in order to spread the word about the CC around campus.  You would participate in a 12 hour one day Cultural Immersion Field trip.  There may also be other opportunities from CC staff for assistance with projects and/or research.  This is an excellent opportunity to list on a graduate school recommendation or a resume.  To request an application, please e-mail Kara Karr (karrkm@jmu.edu).

Be Involved. Are you looking for ways to become more involved on campus? The Be Involved website lists campus organizations and campus events. More information.

Register your interests. The Council on Undergraduate Research has established a Registry of Undergraduate Researchers to facilitate matchmaking between graduate schools and undergraduates with research experience who wish to pursue an advanced degree. Currently the Registry is open to students and graduate schools/employers in nearly all the fields of science that are supported at NSF. Undergraduate students currently in their Junior year should register, but can update their listing at the end of the summer and during their senior year, to include any additional information. Information will be made available only to graduate schools that contract with CUR for this service. Access the undergraduate registry.