Jerry O. Haynes Memorial Award for Outstanding Seniors
This award is named after faculty member Jerry O. Haynes, and honors graduating seniors who possess outstanding records of achievement in academics, service, and research.
2017 Award Recipient
- Has conducted research with Dr. Trevor Stokes Dr. Krisztina Jakobsen and has presented research at local and national conferences.
- Serves as a Student Therapist for the Alvin V. Baird Center and Inter-Professional Autism Clinic.
- Serves as a teaching assistant for Introduction to Psychology under the supervision of Kirsten Ducker.
- Is a member and serves as treasurer of the JMU Chapter of Psi Chi.
- Co-Captain at JMU Psychology Service Org's Day with the Dukes (Volunteer), Member of the Tri-Psyc Relay for Life Team (Volunteer), is Vice President of JMU Best Buddies, and Secretary of Friends of Rachel at JMU, is a tutor for the Shenandoah Valley Migrant Education Program.
- Was awarded the James J. Hart Memorial Scholarship in 2016.
2016 Award Recipient
Michael is a senior majoring in Psychology and Biology as part of the Pre-Medicine Pre-Professional Program. He is involved in Dr. Kethera Fogler’s human cognitive psychology lab as well as Dr. Melanie Shoup-Knox’s animal behavioral neuroscience lab. He has co-authored research posters that have been presented at international, regional, and local conferences as well as developed several research proposals. Additionally, he serves as a teaching assistant for Professor DuVall, a Psychology Peer Advisor, and the Operations Director for Virginia21, a non-partisan political advocacy group for young adults. He has previously worked a PASS Instructor for the JMU Learning Center, an Orientation Peer Advisor for incoming students, and laboratory technician for an environmental microbiology lab. After graduation Michael hopes to attend medical school or pursue a Ph.D. in Cognitive Neuroscience.